At the intersection of marine conservation and social, economic, environmental and food justice


Friday, March 9, 2012

Loss of Fleet Diversity Impacts Me

By Anita Regan, guest blogger
Fairhaven, Massachusetts

Note: This letter was addressed to New England fisheries decision-makers regarding Amendment 18 to the groundfish plan. We encourage everyone to join Anita by submitting your own comments in support of fleet diversity. Click here to learn how.

To the New England Fisheries Management Council,

I oppose the no-action alternative option under A18 because the loss of fleet diversity is a major problem facing the New England fleet. Loss of fleet diversity affects me because my family are fishermen, I live in a coastal community, I eat fish, I care where my food comes from. I see consolidation as a problem because:
  • 165 crew jobs were lost since 2010
  • Three entities control nearly 40% of the allowable catch for one fish stock (GB winter flounder)
A range of actions can be implemented that can address alternatives B-F. I recommend that Amendment 18 include measures to achieve the following goals related to fleet diversity: Foster an affordable fishery through incentive programs and leasing policies that do not disproportionately impact portions of the fleet including owner-operators, independently owned businesses, and potential new 
entrants.

I also recommend that the Council explore the following potential solutions in order to achieve the goals: Establish leasing and permit trading constraints that maintain affordability for smaller fishing operations and new entrants.

Thank you.


NOTE FROM NAMA:
Thank you Anita for sharing your comments. We encourage everyone who, like Anita believes fleet diversity matters, to submit your own comments as part of a public comment period. Click HERE for help on e-mail comments. Every comment counts!

No comments:

Post a Comment